Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Once Again…The Veil Parts….



Death is a subject I have spent many hours thinking about. I mean, I have spent the last 20 some years as a hospice nurse…embracing and immersing myself into the sacred journey that accompanies those dying. I’ve been honored to sit at the bedside as a precious soul leaves this world for another.

As a society, we have imprinted a sadness to that word. I wonder how death and dying would be accepted in our society if we interpreted that word with true joy. Bountiful!

I have been honored to sense the spirit of those who have already gone.

I remember attending a memorial service for a patient I was quite close to. It was held in a beautiful big cathedral, and many of her friends and family were in attendance. I remember sitting there …honoring her memory, and softly realizing that her entire essence was filling up the space within the holy walls of the church. It was fleeting, but powerful, and I knew she was there.  And her soul- her energy, however that may have been defined, was joyful. Pure joy, in fact.  That is the best word I can come up with to describe it- but it was all encompassing…so much more than my meager vocabulary of words can define.

It was a sacred moment.

I remember a late night dream, or visit, after my father died. He had quite a distressing illness and his journey at the end of his physical life was fraught with sickness, sorrow and loss. I was much younger then and unable to formulate the right words of comfort. I was sad. Confused. He was dying before my eyes, and neither of us could do anything to fix it. I was many miles away from him. My heart hurt.

He died. Some weeks later I awoke to see him standing at the foot of my bed. He was healthy and young. In his navy uniform. He smiled and told me, “I just want you to know I am ok.” It was a powerful moment for me.

And so time passes. Years go by. My spiritual journey was ramping up. I remember as a young girl always wondering about the big questions as I grew up. I guess I have always been a bit of a deep thinker- knowing that there is more to life than what we see. I have been honored, I believe, to have glimpsed the veil behind this worldly world from time to time.

I remember a trip to the library many years ago. I must have been in my early 30’s. Searching. Exploring. I found a book that totally intrigued me. “Your Erroneous Zones” by Wayne Dyer. I read a few pages. My heart opened up, and I remember feeling- “YES!!! This makes sense. I need to read this!”

So I did. And so came forth into my world a powerful spiritual teacher. The years passed. Life offered many ups and a few downs. I came to truly appreciate the blessings in my life. There were so many. There were some tough times to navigate as well.

In the background- I found comfort and refuge in reading the teachings of many amazing teachers….Wayne Dyer among them.

I consider Wayne Dyer a wise person. Someone whose energy raised the vibration for so many.
I have probably read most of his books. There are some I keep close by my side, and  often read a page or two- as a reminder to live in the moment and consider the thoughts we have and how they mold and create our world. I have been honored to attend his workshops and live lectures. My sister Jane and I have met Wayne several times, giddy with fun as he took a moment to snap a picture with us. He sang with us one time. ”Sisters…..” Since my movie watching repertoire is a bit spotty- I had no idea what song we were singing and from what movie… but it was fun none the less.

He signed books for us.  My grandchildren have autographed copies of children’s books. I am grateful. May those words we read to them help them connect easily to their inner greatness.

To me, he was kind of a “larger than life” person. Because the words he wrote touched and connected with my soul.

Wayne Dyer died a few weeks ago. Of a heart attack. He was 75 years old. I felt quite sad. I have said prayers. Prayers of comfort for his closest family and friends. Prayers of comfort for those millions of individuals whom have been impacted by his words and teachings. I hope when those final moments came for him, that he felt safe, joyful and was completely surrounded and embraced by angels as he transitioned from this life to the next.  It’s only another leg of a journey.  He has crossed the horizon…out of sight for us…but coming into view for those others….who happily waited his arrival.

So- I offer sincere thanks. I have learned much from his teachings, and I expect I will continue to do so. I hope he is up in heaven having a blast. My mom enjoyed reading his books, so I hope she has a chance to visit with him, and let him know that. She and I watched several of his PBS specials.

 I hope he is up there sharing stories with Hafiz, Lao-tzu, Jesus and Buddha. Laughing. Celebrating.

Death is a journey we all will take. As the months and years tick by, I recognize that more and more.  There is still fear for me surrounding that. I don’t want to lose the physical presence of those I love so deeply- my family, my friends, my partner Jeffrey. They all inhabit and nourish my heart and soul.

I’m certainly not ready to go.

 But, I know it will happen someday. It may be me first- it may be one of my loved ones…those precious souls who light up my world with their physical presence.

There is much left to learn for me, many lessons of grace, acceptance and knowing.  Trust. 
 Un-Attachment to outcome. Keeping my thoughts, feelings and desired aligned with what I want. 
BEing.

Knowing and trusting when that day comes when I make my journey to the other side, that I will be ready. That those I leave behind will be ok. That any inner fear or trepidation suddenly dissolves, and I feel completely, totally happy and welcomed when the journey from this life to the next occurs. 
Like…
 “Oh my goodness…there was nothing for me to worry about after all!”


So- I wrap up a rather long blog- feeling much gratitude for a precious soul. Thank you, Wayne. I appreciate the impact your teachings have made on my life, and the lives of so many. May God surround you with Peace and Presence. Enjoy this new journey. It is well-deserved.   



No comments:

Post a Comment