Friday, May 8, 2015

The Greatest Honor


Hands down, the greatest honor I have ever experienced in this life, is the honor of being a mother. 
And, luckily for me, I have the immense blessing of being “Mom” to both my son David, and my daughter, Jessica.

It was a little awkward for me at times. I didn't always do it perfectly, and sometimes I felt pretty darn inept at doing all the things a Mom should do, in the way a Mom should do them.

Mrs. Cleaver? Mother Teresa?

Not so much.

There were days I was cranky. Not at my all-time best. Tired. Perhaps I did not always make the right decisions or provide the guidance in a way that I might now.  There was no “Mothering for Dummies” book around back then, no innate knowledge of what do in every situation. As a single Mom for much of that time, it often felt challenging.

But what there was, without a doubt, was Love. A Deep and Enduring Love- which washed over me throughout the pregnancies of both, but rolled in like a tidal wave when both were born.   It’s a feeling like no other, as I am sure many other Moms can attest to.

 And, the other realization I marveled at is that Love only Grows.

When my first born, David arrived, I knew my heart was expanding to the greatest reaches of the universe.  I had no idea how I could ever love to that degree again. Then, some years later, my daughter Jessica arrived. Love grew, the universe expanded to include galaxies….and I sat back and observed in awe…how wonderful the limitless arena of love is.

Those feelings are still there, and grow deeper each day.

I love, appreciate and honor both of my children.

David.  As a baby he was fun, adorable and inquisitive… very brave. So loving as a toddler. Asked great questions. Insightful questions I may not have been equipped to answer the way I might now. Grew up to be self-sufficient and focused. Kind. Loyal.  Smart- brilliant in fact. He is much smarter than I am. He fiercely protects his family… knowing what is important.  He is an amazing man- one who has found his creative niche…capturing the soul and emotions of animals and birds through photography. When I look at his photographs, I feel something. He brings a special gift to the world, 
and I know that many others will reap the benefit of what he offers through his art. 
I love him to the furthest reaches of the Universe. I am Grateful.




Jessica. My sweet daughter. She brought many smiles to my heart as a baby and a toddler, in fact, throughout her entire childhood to adulthood.  Grew up to be a remarkable woman. Insightful. Sensitive. Tender. Filled to the very brim with Love, and then some. So thoughtful and caring to me. Appreciated beyond expression.
Hands down, she wins the Mom of the Year award. She is an AMAZING mom, so present, so focused, so loving to dear sweet Kason. She is excavating even greater things right now…discovering her own inner artist, and I am blessed to await how her inner genius and artist will emerge…as she navigates the world of MotherHood while staying connected to herself. She is powerful.
I love her to the furthest reaches of the Universe. I am Grateful.






And, although they are not my kids, I honor and appreciate my daughter-in-law and my son-in law.
Heather- she is such a creative person….not one to toot her own horn, but so able and willing to just step right in when she needs to. Caring. Loving. With no medical training, she commanded the situation when her nephew was very sick and stopped breathing. She just did what needed to be done, and didn’t even mention it after. He survived, thanks to her quick actions. I am so blessed to know her, and I can’t wait to see what other great experiences unfold for her…knowing her inner essence and creativity shines so brightly. Be prepared… You just might need a set of shades when you are around her!



My son-in-law Matt. My buddy. My friend. We’ve had so many great conversations. I love this man. He not only has such great love and respect for my daughter, he is the BEST dad and has such an innate commitment to making a fantastic life for them all.  He is a great person.  He is willing to go to Salt Mines with me. To learn the Secrets of Meditation with me and Aunt Jane.  He is willing to have deep conversations. He is a great hiking partner, and has urged me up a tough 14er. He has been such a gift in my life….and I am incredibly grateful for his friendship, insight and acceptance.
OK...so I need to learn how to put on a hat. 


So- Thank you Sweet Mother Earth, God and Universe. The circle of life continues to swirl, expand and grow.  On this Sacred Mother’s Day fast approaching- Thank you for the honor of being David and Jessica’s Mom.

May I always bring my best self to each of my beloved.  May I always touch their heart and soul and be a loving presence in their life. Thank you, God!





















No comments:

Post a Comment